คลังบทความภาษาไทย

วันพุธที่ 1 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2556

I am a Stroke Survivor!!



It was probably one of the scariest things that could ever happen to somebody. I had just turned 57 years old. Out of my bad habit, drinking [ I had been suffering with  high blood pressure for over 5 years and I drank a lot, I stopped taking my medication because I thought my blood pressure had been normal for a while, why should I kept taking a tiny pill everyday-- Out of my  stupidity--it happened! I was falling on to the floor while trying to pick up my eye- glasses which had dropped on the floor inside my office,
it happened on the night of the 27th December 2010, I was rushed to the  emergency room of the Queen Sirikit hospital, Sattahip. 

My family from my hometown had been contacted, my sister and brother drove 12 hours from the North of Thailand to Pattaya, visitted me in the hospital and
With their connection, they manage to transfer me to the local Hospital in Nan, where I  woke up finally, and I realized that I can’t use my right side, I couldn't communicate so that somebody could understand me, and I just thought my life is over. It’s the most frightening thing in the world. Especially if you are a teacher and a writer who has been working in the business for over 15 years and that’s all you know, and now you can’t even talk. It’s absolutely petrifying!
After the initial feelings of not wanting to go on, you realize that there are people who care about you and there are things that you can still do and be the person that you want to be, IF you have the determination.

Once that determination is made, then you go to work and do it. And, it took me 10 days in the hospital of solid, constant therapy. During that time, my therapy was 5 hours a day, six-to-seven days a week for my hand, my arm, and my leg. Now, I am out of the hospital and we do therapy one or two hours a day, four or five times a week.
I think that everybody has a button. Everybody has a button that somebody can push. 

My button just happens to be computer. That was my passion. I had been using computer for 20+ years , Now I’m having my stroke , The rehabilitation doctor walked into my hospital room about 5 days after I had my stroke. He said, "You’ll never be able to use your hands [to type] again the way you did before, if at all. You’ll never work again. You'll probably not really work again in the same business." But, when he said that I'd never be able to use the computer as good as before again, he really pushed my button. And when that button was pushed, I knew that I WOULD do it; I knew that I would work again. I knew that I would be able to do right for my family. But that button was the one thing that put me over the edge.
So, after I decided that I could do it, I got up and tried everyway of doing it. It was my ‘job’ for over 16 weeks to make myself better. And eventually it worked. I’m back. I am typing with one finger, Now I can walk, talk, eat. I have a, 30 year-old son, who can run the business for me, A year-old granddaughter, and a lot of people who care about me. And, I have a story to tell people: If they have determination, if they that have that inner person that is willing to actually go out there and grab something and shake it up to the point where they make it to work for themselves, then they can succeed — not just at beating the disease, but at beating anything else.

My stroke recovery journey

Lost In My Own Thoughts

 

**********************************
This video really educated me!